Welcome to Woodfold
We've been crafting value for more than 60 years. Woodfold Mfg., Inc. was established in 1957 in Forest Grove, Oregon. Since then, we've grown into one of the nation's leading suppliers of custom-crafted Accordion Doors, Roll-Up Doors, hardwood Shutters and Bookcase Doors for both residential and commercial installations. And even though times have changed, some things at Woodfold haven't. At least, not the values that really make a difference to our customers.
We mean business. That's what makes Woodfold the number one choice for so many architects, interior designers and sales channel partners. But don't just take our word for it.
"Woodfold's commitment to excellence has played a major role in the success of my company. Their product is second to none, and their customer service and on-time deliveries have made it a pleasure doing business with them over the past 18 years. In my opinion, Woodfold is the finest company I've ever dealt with".
~ Robert Ross California Hardwood Shutters, Inc. Juno Beach, Florida
Our Mission at Woodfold
We don't just craft good products. We create great solutions. Over the years, Woodfold has earned a reputation among designers, architects and homeowners as the go-to company when faced with a real challenge. How to turn an odd-shaped window into a work of art. How to divide a cavernous room into cozy retreats. How to assure better security without sacrificing eye appeal. We're able to do all this and more thanks to a unique combination of assets: exceptional design and engineering... timeless, traditional craftsmanship, using the finest hardwoods, the best man-made materials, the highest quality hardware... and of course, the most advanced technological advances in equipment, machinery and process workflow.
We go the extra steps. At Woodfold, that's a given. Each piece going into a Roll-Up Door, for example, is individually finished to assure absolute color integrity, top to bottom. Our Roll-Up and Accordion Doors are installed, tested and re-tested before shipment to ensure flawless performance. And prior to being stained or painted, every hardwood Shutter is hand-examined with ultraviolet light to expose even the tiniest fleck of glue which could affect the integrity of its finish.
Woodfold combines decades of craftsmanship with today's most advanced computers and machinery for an unsurpassed level of quality, efficiency and precision. Best part is, to us, it's just the beginning. After all, we're only 60 years old and that's quite young in our minds.
Woodfold People: Personally Invested
Our people take each project personally. The reason: Woodfold is 100 percent employee-owned and operated, and as you'd expect, promotes a corporate culture which encourages - no, actually insists upon - excellence and value. Each owner-artisan takes personal pride in the quality of his or her efforts, personal responsibility for the satisfaction of each customer, and a personal stake in the continued success of the business.
After all, when your company's been crafting value for more than 60 years, you have a vested interest in continuing the tradition.
Woodfold Facilities: Growing Strong
Throughout our 160,000 square feet of space, we've modified, modernized and maximized our operation to enhance the skills and assure the safety of our craftsmen and women -- to make the best possible use of valuable resources -- and to serve as an environmentally-conscious good neighbor to both our local and global communities.
Woodfold's Environmental Journey
As a 100% employee-owned company we look at our efforts to minimize our environmental impact as a journey with no end. It will take a relentless pursuit to truly have zero waste and impact on the environment.
It is important to understand that as our world population has tripled in the last 60 years, all of our natural systems have experienced a measurable impact; from the air we breathe, the water we drink and the land we use.
The textbook definition of sustainability is meeting the needs of current generations without compromising the ability of the future generations to meet their own needs. Having been in business for over 60 years, sustainability is something Woodfold works at each and every day. We have also grown to understand that true business sustainability considers the relationships between environment, community and people.
Over the years Woodfold has gained greater understanding of potential impacts from the entire life cycle of our product. Along the way we have responded by implementing various changes to reduce our environmental impact. The following initiatives highlight our environmental journey:
- 1993 We converted from a solvent-based to a water-based coating which reduced our VOC's and HAP emissions by 80%.
- 1994 We conducted a Plant-wide energy audit and then implemented the following:
- Converted all our production facility lighting to metal halide lighting that consumes 50% less energy.
- Upgraded our air handling system which improved air quality and reduced our system's electrical consumption by 52%.
- 1997 We consolidated our work week from 5 days to 4 days reducing employee vehicle emissions from commuting by 20%.
- Since 1999 we have been recognized by Washington County for our recycling program.
- 2006 We replaced 60% of our metal halide lighting with T5 and T8 lighting which operate at 50% less electricity. We also incorporated motion sensors in areas of low traffic.
- 2007 We improved the insulation on our steam heating system and have seen a 21% reduction in Natural Gas use.
- 2007 We looked deeper into our recycling efforts and found more resources for recycling which brought the amount we recycle up to 75%.
- 2007 We hosted an event which provided a case study illustrating the benefits from combining an environmental focus with the traditional Lean Manufacturing (continuous improvement) focus. Read about it here
- 2008 We calculated our Climate Registry Scope 1 and 2 carbon footprint providing us a clearer understanding of where we need to focus our efforts to further reduce our carbon emissions.
- 2008 We partnered with a team from Oregon State University to evaluate our processes looking for opportunities to improve energy efficiencies in order to further reduce our carbon foot print.
- 2008 We achieved our Forest Stewardship Council COC certification allowing us to manufacture and sell FSC certified wood products.
- 2008 We enrolled in the Call 2 Recycle program providing an outlet to recycle rechargeable batteries for our company and employees.
- 2009 We received two environmental awards: "Innovation in Sustainability Award" from the Portland Business Journal and "Small Business Environmental Stewardship Award" from EPA's SBO/SBEAP.
- 2009 Conducted plant-wide employee training to identify and reduce environmental waste (materials, water, energy, emissions, liquid & solid waste) as part of our greater continuous improvement journey.
- 2009 We established a Green Purchasing Guide to help employees with purchasing authority to maximize the opportunities during the purchasing process that benefit both our company's efficiency and the environment.
- 2010 We worked on improving our environmental impact from our marketing activities, including:
- We've reduced our travel by increasing the use of phone and web conferencing.
- We offset all carbon emissions from our air travel with the purchase of carbon offsets, learn more at Bonneville Environmental Foundation.
- We've reduced printed literature distributed by 40% through encouraging customers to use our digital copies and by updating our customer list.
- Reduced our trade show crate from 1,800 lbs to 218 lbs which reduces materials and energy required.
- 2010 We targeted our junk mail and removed our name from mailing lists for trade publications and catalogs that we didn't want, which reduced the use of natural resources and the associated waste stream.
- 2010 We established an Energy Management System and reduced our electricity use by 15% and our natural gas use by 20%.
- 2011 We started measuring our energy intensity and set new energy management goals to further reduce our electricity and natural gas use by another 8%.
- 2011 Began greening our cleaning supplies and bathrooms, using Green Seal Certified cleaning products, switching to foam soap dispensers in the bathrooms which reduces the amount of soap used by 75% and switching to higher recycle content paper towels and toilet paper.
- In an effort to be transparent regarding our environmental journey we've made available charts showing our progress in reducing our electricity consumption, natural gas consumption, greenhouse gas emissions and solid waste recycling.
- In 2013 we became one of 800 companies in the world to be a Certified B Corporation, demonstrating our commitment and practice of providing a positive impact to our people, our community and the environment.
- In 2013 we once again were recognized by Washington County for our recycling program, receiving the Recycling at Work Award.
- In 2014 through further scrutiny of our waste streams we found ways to recycle more material, pushing our recycling rate to over 80% of all our solid waste.
- In 2015 we changed out all facility lighting to LED’s cutting energy used for lighting by 50%.
- In 2016 through our continuous improvement efforts we are now recycling on average 90% of all our solid waste.
Being a good neighbor and having a thriving community is an integral part of our company's philosophy. As an active member of our community the following are some examples:
- Support for local Relay for Life
- Support local blood drives
- Support Habitat for Humanity
- Support local youth educational & sports activities
- Support the local Senior Center
- Support the Chamber of Commerce
- Participate on City boards/committees
- Support local charitable contributions
- Provide free office space for our local nonprofit Friends of Historic Forest Grove
- Provide free gardening space for a local charter school
- Support our employees to volunteer in the community
We recognize that there is much more to do and many challenges that lay ahead. Through the strength of our employees we are committed to continuing this journey towards zero environmental impact.
Environment, Health, Safety, Sustainability contact: Kevin Emerick
Woodfold: More than a Company, A Culture
We work lean. At Woodfold, we've embraced the now-proven concept of Lean Manufacturing and integrated it into every step of our efforts. Better use of space ... better use of precious raw materials ... better use of each person's time - it's a constant process of ongoing improvement which has paid off, big time. Today, we're able to produce twice the volume of Roll-Up Doors in just half the space. We've increased our manufacturing flexibility to meet the ebb and flow of product orders without impacting efficiency. And our production velocity has skyrocketed, now eight times faster than before, resulting in an on-time customer delivery record close to 100 percent.
We also work clean. Monitoring and minimizing our impact on the environment has always been an important part of the Woodfold culture, and as an employee-owned company, we take great pride and personal ownership in protecting the community in which we live. For more information, please see Woodfold's Environmental Journey link.
We Do The Right Thing Defining Woodfold's success goes far beyond a profit/loss statement. At Woodfold we operate with the fundamental belief in doing the right thing. For Woodfold that means providing a positive impact on our people, our community and the environment.